The leaves are falling, the weather is cooling down, and the holidays are quickly approaching! It’s officially that time of year to snuggle up on your couch with a warm bowl of something delicious and enjoy the best aspects of the season. Whether you’re putting together your Thanksgiving Day menu, wrapping Christmas presents earlier than normal – when does that ever happen? – or watching your favorite line-up of Hallmark movies, this Gingered Pumpkin Bisque recipe will certainly hit the spot for lunch, dinner, or both! Check it out below:
• 1/3 cup chopped shallots
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
• 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
• 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
• 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
• 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• Dash ground cloves
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Additional heavy whipping cream, optional
• Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
1. In a small saucepan, sauté the shallots, onion, and ginger in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended, then cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Next, stir in broth and cider gradually. Bring to a boil, and cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
2. Stir in the pumpkin, syrup, and seasonings. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the present mixture to cool slightly.
3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in cream and vanilla, and heat through. If desired, drizzle individual servings with additional cream and garnish with thyme sprigs.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at BayPointe Crossing Apartments in Virginia Beach, Virginia encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.