The best soup is made from scratch. So, ditch the can of condensed split pea soup, and make this low, slow, and simmered version, instead! The meaty ham bone is that special ingredient that really flavors this soup and makes all of the difference. In the same way, the bag of dry split peas yields a full-bodied soup with the perfect consistency and texture.
This recipe is all about going back to the old-fashioned basics, and in the end, that’s what really makes it so good. It’s one of those classic recipes that remind us of all the good memories, making it not only satisfying and nourishing but also the ultimate comfort food staple in the truest sense of the phrase.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
• 1 1/4 cups chopped celery
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
• 4 cups water
• 1 (16-ounce) bag dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 pounds meaty ham bone or ham shanks
• 1 cup chopped carrots
• Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
2. Pour in chicken broth and water. Add split peas, bay leaves, and thyme. Season lightly with salt and with pepper to taste.
3. Nestle ham bone into soup mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to low. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally until peas and ham is tender, about 60 - 80 minutes.
4. Remove ham from soup, let rest 10 minutes then shred or dice meat portion into pieces, cover.
5. Meanwhile add carrots to the soup. Cover soup and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas have mostly broken down, about 30 minutes longer.
6. Stir ham into soup, season with more salt as needed. Serve warm garnished with parsley if desired.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at BayPointe Crossing Apartments in Virginia Beach, Virginia encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.